Reports to: EVP, Licensure
Location: Burbank, CA (HQ)
Responsible for leading PSI’s state regulatory testing practice by establishing and maintaining professional best practices, resource planning and management, supporting business development, and engaging in the professional community. This role is responsible for directing the activity of PSI’s talented team of PhD and Master’s level test development specialists to provide professionally developed assessments for our state clients throughout the US.
Essential Job Duties
- Design and implement test development practices that comport with professional testing standards (AERA et al, 2014), accreditation requirements (e.g., ARELLO, NASCLA), and legal guidelines (EEOC et al, 1978).
- Institute project management principles to ensure that program obligations are met in accordance with industry best practices and effective resource stewardship.
- Develop and manage the department’s operating budget.
- Prepare (and/or oversee the preparation of) technical, high stakes reports (e.g., accreditation, validation reports).
- Support business development by contributing to proposals and engaging in the client community.
- Make presentations at conferences, client meetings, and business development settings.
- Lead the growth and development of the professional test development staff (approximately 20) and manage day-to-day operations.
- Results Focused: Infuse the team with a sense of purpose and create clear accountability. Establish a track record as a reliable, “go to” performer. Drive organizational initiatives beyond just delivering the test development product. Set and adjust priorities effectively; remove barriers and act with an appropriate sense of urgency. Energize others to excel and continuously improve.
- Influence/Teamwork: Develop strong business partnerships and credibility with clients and colleagues. Offer new ideas and build support for making significant change. Ask questions and listen to gain input and insight. Foster an open exchange of ideas.
- Communicate clearly and concisely. Resolve differences/conflict in a constructive manner.
- Strategic Thinking: Plan ahead and anticipate as well as look at downstream and cross-functional implications. Balance short and long range considerations when solving problems.
- Champion operational excellence, process improvement, and innovation throughout the test development group as well as the corporation as a whole.
- Partner with direct reports and engage with other staff to foster exceptional and productive internal and external relationships.
- Oversee employee development and training, ensuring that all direct reports understand PSI’s service culture.
- Oversee employee review process, including salary adjustment, bonus determination, and disciplinary action.
- Contribute to professional practice and operational excellence by exploring and presenting new ideas, technologies, methods, and protocols.
- Must be a smart, assertive, energetic and results-driven leader who has the ability to succeed in a results-focused organization.
- D. (preferred) or Masters in Educational Measurement & Statistics, Quantitative Research Methods, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Psychometrics, or highly-related discipline.
- At least 10 years in leading test development and psychometric projects, including 5 years of progressively advancing experience in managing a team of testing professionals.
- Experience with large-scale testing programs; Licensure or Certification examinations preferred.
- Experience in leading high profile, high stakes projects, and delivering top quality product according to deadline and need.
- Experience with accreditation processes preferred.
- Knowledge of the professional testing industry, especially licensing and/or certification.
- Knowledge of psychometric methods, measurement theory (CTT, IRT), job analysis, test development, validation, fairness, standard setting methods, and data forensics.
- Knowledge and experience with assessment technology systems (e.g., item authoring and banking; automated assembly; LOFT, CAT).
- Demonstrated ability to balance the strategic with the practical and to implement and drive execution.
- Consulting and advisory skills; e.g., developing and recommending solutions for assessment programs or special problems.
- Oral presentation skills in technical, client, and business development settings.
- Advanced writing skills to prepare technical reports, proposals and strategic communications.
- Ability to manage a geographically diverse staff.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume to HRIS@PSIONLINE.COM with job code VP, TEST DEVELOPMENT on the subject.